Make your own free website on Tripod.com

ANOTHER VAPORIZER STUDY

Home
ORDERING INFORMATION
HOW THE VOLCANO WORKS
FAQ

Another Vaporizer Study

May 2003: "The Volcano Vaporizer virtually eliminates Toxins

A new study has shown that the vaporization of herbs in "The Volcano vaporization device drastically reduces the production of harmful substances in comparison to smoking and produces a virtually pure flow of cannabinoids with very few by-products. The smoke of combusted herbs normally contains similar toxins to those found in tobacco smoke and smoke from other plant material; substances that can damage tissue and can lead to chronic bronchitis and cancer.

The study, conducted by Chemic Labs in Canton, Mass., tested vapors from herbs heated in "The Volcano and compared them to smoke produced by combusted herbs. "The Volcano is designed to heat material to temperatures of 130 to 230 C (266 to 446 F) where medically active vapors are produced, but below the threshold of combustion where smoke is formed. Previous studies have found that vaporizers can reduce harmful toxins in herbal smoke. However this is the first study to analyze the gas phase of the vapor for a wide range of toxins.

A preliminary study was first conducted of the best vaporizers currently available on the market to discover which vaporizer is the most likely candidate for approval by a clinical study undertaken by the American Food and Drug Association, the FDA.

This study discovered that "The Volcano manufactured in Germany, was the selected device due to its first-class quality, convincing design and superb analysis values.

The analysis showed that "The Volcano vapor was remarkably clean, consisting of 95% of THC with traces of cannabinol (CBN). The remaining 5% consisted of small amounts of three other components: one suspected cannabinoid relative, one suspected PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon) and caryophyllene, a fragrant oil (fragrant).

In contrast, over 111 different chemicals appeared in the gas (smoke) of combusted herbs, including a half dozen known PAHs. Non-cannabinoids accounted for as much as 88% of the total gas content of the smoke.

Cannabinoids are non-toxic; the risk to the respiratory tracts derives from the combusted harmful substances alone.

The study was sponsored by the US-American organizations the Californian NORML, MAPS and MPP to the tune of $ 57,000. It used herbs supplied by the US authority NIDA.
 
A quantitative analysis found that "The Volcano delivered 46% of the THC into vapor following three 45-second exposures of the herb sample to the heat. Previous studies showed typical effectiveness of herbal cigarettes for experienced smokers to be approximately 25 %. It was pointed out that additional heat exposure combined with intermittent rubbing of the sample made an even higher efficiency possible. The study, however, was primarily concerned with providing evidence to the FDA (Food and Drug Association) that no harmful substance was present.

Dr. Donald Abrams of the University of California, San Francisco, has been granted FDA approval and permission to do Medical Cannabis Research for the California Center in San Diego to test "The Volcano on human subjects.

Enter content here

Enter supporting content here